Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Reflection


The past couple of weeks have definitely been a roller coaster as we prepare for the end of the school year. Tuesday is officially "Dead Day" at McMurry where there is nothing scheduled on campus the day before Finals start so that students can finish up projects, papers, or in some cases, community service. I find myself reflecting on this year as I will be saying goodbye to some of my students.

At this time last year, I was struggling with direction and focus at White's in Wabash, Indiana because the management had taken a different direction and I felt in my heart that it was time for me to move on. It was a hard decision because even though my heart has never left collegiate ministry, there were a few students that I would be leaving behind that I still cared about. If there is one thing that has been reinforced by God this year, it's that He is always with me, every step of the way. All of the concerns that I had about my students, and my own direction for that matter, were answered. The one student that I was really worried about ended up getting placed in foster care will one of my best friends and his wife, who are some of the greatest, most loving people to set foot on God's earth. I am excited because they will love and care for this kid in a way that he has never had but deserves.
I also had most of my prayer needs answered once I got to Texas as well. I interviewed all over the country, having campus visits in Florida and Minnesota, as well as phone interviews in Mississippi, Massachusetts, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, California, Oregon, and Washington state! Once I got down here, I realized that I had never really committed to any of my 'stops' along the way because I seemed to always be looking to the next move or the next opportunity. Some of the things that I prayed for when I got down here was to find a quality church home that I could worship in that challenged me and motivated me to live out my faith. I wanted to be able to make friendships that would nurture me and provide that fellowship that I needed. I really wanted to try to find a home. I didn't want to keep looking back to Iowa and not living in Texas. I have found all of that. I have not felt this connected and excited about church since I was in youth group back in Iowa when I first became a Christian. I feel welcomed and challenged to get out of my chair and live for God all at the same time. I am involved in a Home Team Bible study on Tuesday nights that I really enjoy being a part of, with a group of people that I enjoy getting together with and enjoying their friendships. I truly feel blessed and encouraged to be included in their lives.

I also have this little thing called the RD job that I do here at McMurry which I will talk about tomorrow..............

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Thanks for helping that one student of yours whom you were worried would end up in foster care.

Please continue to keep foster children and the child welfare system in your prayers.

I'm a former foster child who's trying to make a difference.

http://sunshinegirlonarainyday.blogspot.com/

www.sunshinegirlonarainyday.com

-Lisa
Ephesians 3:20-21