Monday, May 22, 2006

Air Show


I had an amazing day today. The weather down here in Abilene was amazing (Clear Blue Skies and around 95 degrees) but today was special because it was Abilene Appreciation Day at Dyess Air Force Base and I got to see the Fabulous Thunderbirds airshow (www.airshow.com, http://www.nellis.af.mil/thunderbirds/index.htm)!

I had enjoyed church in the morning, as I usually do, and we have been studying Philippians for the last few months now and the main theme for today was Phil. 3:12-14:

Pressing on Toward the Goal

"12Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

I was struck with the reality during the sermon that I too often let those things-sins-of my past chain me to that life instead of embracing the grace, forgiveness, and NEW life that Christ has offered to me. I never seem to want to accept that God can forgive me when I can't seem to forgive myself. I have to learn to forget what is behind and press on....otherwise I will be of no use to myself, God, or anyone else.

I say that this was the theme because I was confronted with this singular focus that Paul must have had as I watched the Thunderbirds perform. If you haven't ever seen them I would highly recommend it.
They do some amazing things and maneuver within feet of each other because they are focused on the task at had, and the goal of precision is what drives them. I encourage us all to think about what is important in our own lives as we remember our service men and women who hold the line and tell those who would steal our freedoms and security, "Not on my watch" and they pay for those freedoms with their lives. I have a friend who is getting deployed to Kuwait on June 1st=for me the sacrifice on the military just became real.

I am proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free and I won't forget the men who died who gave that right to me...

I also need to remember the goal of living for Christ and learning to forgive myself.

2 comments:

DAKOTARANGER said...

Hey Feltzy, I guess I would have to agree with the idea having to accepting God's grace. I hate to admit it, but I really struggle with the idea of grace as a whole. Since I have become extremely justice oriented I have struggled with grace (Yes I know that would fall under my fault). I guess it's just a knee jerk reaction to how grace is always stressed and justice overlooked by the church as a whole. And the focus on grace without the justice left a big void. But over the last six months to a year I can see that my extreme stance at justice has done the samething. I'm just trying to figure out the balance between the two.

Matt said...

On a non-spiritual note. I love the Thunderbirds, but I'll have to say I am a little impartial to the Blue Angels right now-it could be since I am in theor home town. I love going to watch them practice and they just like the tbirds do an awesome show...if you ever make it over here, I'll take you to see them. They have a free practice show almost every week. I love going to watch them. I also appreciated your spiritual challenges as well. IT touched me as always. I appreciate you my brother!