Thursday, December 01, 2005

How do you lead when your boss is not a servant?!?

For those of you that know me, I have been struggling with direction probably ever since I was let go from Indiana Wesleyan. I have recently made a change into the world of Student Development down at McMurry University. The problem is that I don't really work for McMurry=I am employed by Century Campus Housing Managment, who is basically a landlord for properties at colleges and universities around the country. They are very disjointed in thier follow-up and leadership and they embody the very essence of corporate greed shrouded in good intentions.

This brings me to my working relationship with my supervisor and the question that began this blog: How do I continue to keep a positive attitude and motivation for my vision of students when I have a boss that hates her life and translates that angst on to me? I have been struggling with the question that I think we all have when we are trying to find God's voice in our lives-'God, is this the place for me? Did I really make this decision based on your leading, or was I so desperate for a change that I convinced myself that this was Your Will for my life?!? I still very much feel like I am on the edge of the slippery slope of despair but I recently found a devotional book given to me when I was an RD at IWU that has given me some direction.

The book is called The Leadership Lessons of Jesus by Bob Briner (the man that co-wrote Roaring Lambs). The Week One devotional is entitled Who Speaks for You? and the scripture verse is as follows:

And this was his message: "After me will come one more powerful than I, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and untie."---Mark 1:7

I will not take the space to share the entire devotional in this column but I do want to share a little bit and show how it has impacted my attitude toward a bad situation.

"Who speaks for you? Who talks about you? What do they say? These are vital questions for every leader and every potential leader to ask continually, both of himself and of the quality of his leadership. What are others saying--to you, for you, and about you? It is safe to assume that if no one is helping communicate the message of your leadership, then no one is following you. If a distorted message is being disseminated, the quality and precision of your communication need attention.......From time to time a leader needs to assess the way his public--whomever they might be--perceives him."

Here are some thoughts on this devotional:

What is the message I am sending when I cop an attitude and become petty worrying about the way my boss treats me? Won't she have to answer for her actions at some point? Why do I always have to want vindication? How can I select a messenger before first selecting a message? What is the life-long focus/message that I need to be sending? Do I always speak truth? Do I engender the kind of commitment from others that led John the Baptist to never cower in the face of opposition? Do I do enough to publicly honor my staff?

What should our focus in the face of a nasty work situation be? Should we continue to question God's direction or should we look to the guidebook that He gave us and realize that He gave us helpful information for every situation?

May God Bless you and keep you in this time of celebration of Jesus's glorious birth and give you the strength and wisdom to witness in the middle of a not-so-perfect situation!

3 comments:

DAKOTARANGER said...

Here's my plug nickel. When you accepted the job it was a door that was open, or at the very least appeared open. It could be that God had something that He wanted to teach you (not in the negative sense). The things is at this time is to remain teachable.
I think sometimes God just gives us a general direction so we keep going back to Him daily (see Abraham trek to the promised land).

I don't have any big advise on how to handle your boss. Maybe when her angst is overwhelming just ask her what's going on in her life. (which that advise could be worth less than a plug nickel)

DAKOTARANGER said...

Along with not being very good at trash talking encouragement isn't my strong suit. I hope that helped if there is anything I can do...

Matt said...

Feltzy, Thanks for challenging me with the thoughts at the end of the post. I know I have been struggling here in my new position-not as much with my boss, but because when we moved down here we thought that everything would fall right into place for both of us and it still hasn't for Megan and she is having a tough time. Your thoughts encouraged me (as they always did) to hang in there and give it my all not matter what. Hang in there brother!
-McKee