Wednesday, November 23, 2005

On this time of Thanksgiving.....I eat Crow!

As many of you know, I have been working frantically to finish up my Masters degree in Management from Indiana Wesleyan. It has been typical to my experience with IWU-I have had to do all of the work to follow up on enrollment and financial aid. It has been an amazing time of growth and learning how to persevere to see this thing through to the end. I am now on course to finish all of my coursework in May!

I as started my new class, the professor gave me a reminder as to WHY I am pursuing this degree and WHY I try to be deligent to my mission field of Student Development with his devotional entitled, "Servant Leadership". I hope that it speaks to you as much as it did me.

Servant Leadership

Two of the most vivid illustrations of Servant Leadership are found in the books of Matthew and I Peter.

“But Jesus called them unto him, and said, “You know that the leaders of the Gentiles exercise dominion over then, and they that are great exercise authority upon them. But it shall not be so among you, let the LEADER be your minister; And whosoever will be CHIEF among you, let him be your SERVANT: Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister and GIVE his life a ransom for many” (Matthew 20:25-8).

“Be leaders of God’s people that are under your care, serving as overseers – not out of a sense of obligation, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not greedy for money, but eager to serve; not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to all” (I Peter 5:2-3).

Both passages clearly illustrate the continuum from theory X leadership to theory Z leadership; from authoritarian leadership to transformational leadership. There are seven Servant Leadership principles that can guide each of us in our various leadership roles.

1. We are only qualified to lead to the degree we are willing to serve.
2. The more we serve the greater we become.
3. Serving is a cheerful giving of love.
4. Love is the great commission for all that choose to serve and lead.
5. Love is the passion to benefit others by the giving of self – from self to service.
6. There is a price to pay in Servant Leadership, but the benefits are enduring.
7. Servant Leaders know that perseverance will outlast persecution.



Lord, I pray that during times of stress and trial that you will help me to remember that: The more we serve-the greater we become! Thank you so much for the priviledge of working with college students. --Jason

1 comment:

DAKOTARANGER said...

good post hope you had a good thanksgiving-craig